Diplomacy in Crisis – The Trump Administration’s Decimation of the State Department
On July 28, 2020, the Democratic Staff of the U.S. Senate’s Committee on Foreign Relations released a 46-page report documenting their concerns with regard to length vacancies of key positions within the State Department, the vetting of nominees for Presidential appointees that have to be confirmed by the Senate and issues of morale under Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s leadership.
Diplomacy in Crisis: The Trump Administration’s Decimation of the State Department (2:10)
- Executive Summary (2:28)
- Prologue – Diplomacy 101: Why the State Department Matters (11:46)
- Chapter 1 – Vacant Posts and Frequent Turnover: An America Less Present and Less Effective (22:50)
- Chapter 2 – The Trump Administration’s Record on Diplomatic Nominees: Repeated Vetting Failures, Poor Judgement (44:52)
- Chapter 3 – A Culture of Fear and Mistrust: Attacks on Career Employees (1:00:09)
- Chapter 4 – A Crisis of Morale (1:20:04)
- Chapter 5 – Conclusion and Recommendations: The Challenges Ahead (1:42:30)
- Credits (1:56:04)
Follow the show on Twitter @GovUnfiltered or on Facebook at facebook.com/governmentunfiltered.